Year 6 Sycamore Class
Curriculum Information Page
Welcome to the Year 6 (Sycamore Class) page.
We hope this provides you with important information to support your child's learning this year.
Please do get in contact if there is anything that we can help you with.
What we will be learning this Summer 2023...
This term’s enquiry question is:
How has technology affected our lives?
This is what we will be learning about in each subject area:
English: Non-chronological report and dialogue (Cogheart), write a section for a graphic novel (The Arrival)
Maths: Statistics, Position and Direction, Revision, consolidation and themed projects
Science: Electricity – circuits
Computing: Design, write and debug programmes that accomplish specific goals – use VEX IQ robots to build and programme using software.
RE: How beliefs shape identity for Muslims
History: Changes in technology since the Victorian era, linked to modern day robots and technology. What have we learnt? Who are the most influential people?
Art: To design and produce sketches in the style of William Morris
Music: How does music improve our world
DT: To design and build a robot structure from wood. To apply knowledge and understanding of how to strengthen, and reinforce structure. To understand and use electrical circuits within structure.
French: Numbers to 30, classroom resources and instructions
PE: Rounders and outdoor adventurous activities
Life skills: Changing relationships, prejudice and kindness, road safety, financial planning
How you can help your child with their learning:
- Use the Knowledge Organisers (at the bottom of this page) to help your child learn the information we are exploring in class.
- Encourage them to complete their homework each week to become ready for the expectations of secondary school next year.
- Continue to read and sign reading diaries to achieve merits - these will be stamped weekly. Reading is such an important aspect in our learning!
- Help your child with their times tables if they need to practise – Times Tables Rockstars.
- Keep an eye on our school Twitter page to see what we have been getting up to! @NectonY6
Other things to remember:
- We will be doing PE on Mondays and Friday. Please make sure your child comes to school in their kit for this day.
PE will be outside when possible, so they will need to wear something appropriate to the weather.
Children need to remove earrings for PE lessons.
Hair needs to be tied back at all times.
Please remember to name all school uniform.
Please ensure your child has a water bottle.
Homework will be on Teams every Thursday and is due in on Wednesday.
No make-up or nail varnish for school.
As the weather changes children may need a change of footwear including socks for break/lunch as we will be outside on the grass.
IMPORTANT DATES THIS TERM:
Tuesday 18th April - Summer term begins
Monday 1st May - BANK HOLIDAY
Monday 8th May - BANK HOLIDAY (CORONATION)
w.b. 15th May - STAY SAFE WEEK 3 (including Walk or Wheel Week)
Wednesday 17th-19th May - Residential to Eaton Vale
Wednesday 24th May - SEND Parents Evening
Monday 29th May to Friday 2nd June - HALF TERM
Saturday 24th June - FOSA Necton Summer Fete
Wednesday 28th June - Sports Day
Wednesday 12th July - Move Up Morning
Friday 21st July - Last day of summer term
Summer Term Knowledge Organiser: