Year 2 Maple Class
Curriculum Information Page
Welcome to the Year 2 (Maple Class) page.
We hope this provides you with important information to support your child's learning this year.
Please do get in contact if there is anything that we can help you with.
What we will be learning this Summer Term 2023...
This term's enquiry question is:
What is the Greatest Creature of Them All?
This is what we will be learning about in each subject area:
English: Newspaper reports; Julia Donaldson- writing alternative versions; explanation texts; Krindlekrax- describing settings and characters.
Maths: Recap of written and mental methods for the four operations; Fractions; Measure- mass, capacity and time; position and direction; statistics.
Science: Animals including humans; Biodiversity
Computing: Questioning; Effective searching; Presenting ideas.
RE: How do Jews celebrate Passover? Why do people have different views about the ideas of God?
PE: Athletics; Strike and field; Net and wall; Gymnastics
History: Timelines; Important events in history- Mary Annings- Dinosaurs and the Prehistoric Era
Geography: Changing environments and habitats- Human and physical features of the environment and how these change over time.
Art: Textiles- dip dying; Collagraph and natural direct printing
Design Technology: Textiles- sewing a toy dinosaur
Music: Finding the beat, repeating and complimentary rhythms- samba bucket drumming; Playing and creating pieces as an ensemble; Listening and appraising- Songs of friendship
Life skills: Changing relationships; Kindness and Prejudice
How you can help your child with their learning:
- Use the Knowledge Organisers (at the bottom of this page) to help your child learn the information we are exploring this term.
- Hear your child read every day and ask him/her questions about the story. Take time to discuss and celebrate their book choices (from home or school) and please continue to read to your child too!
- Help your child to log on to the Spelling Shed (login details in Home-Learning books) to practise the spelling sounds/patterns that we will cover this year.
- Library books can be changed in our school library every Tuesday and we will be changing reading books and collecting in the children’s Reading Records on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We will reward every 10 reading stamps with a merit.
- Practise times tables with your child ( 0x, 1x, 2x, 10x, 5x) – please use TT Rockstars (login details in Home-Learning books) to help with this!
- Spellings will be given out each Thursday in your home learning book. Please make sure it is in school on this day. Other optional challenges may be added from time to time.
- Check out our class twitter account @NectonY2 for updates and photos of our learning.
- If you can spare any time to volunteer to hear children read at school then please us know!
- Have a go at one of the activities from the option creative homework grid...
You can find links to websites and games that will help your child with this term's learning at the end of this page.
Other things to remember:
- Our PE sessions this term will be on Thursday and Fridays. Please make sure your child comes to school in their PE kit on this day each week.
- Children need to have earrings removed for PE lessons, or taped if they can't be removed.
- Please name all school uniform.
- Please ensure your child has a water bottle every day.
- Please ensure long hair is tied back at all times.
IMPORTANT DATES THIS TERM:
Tuesday 18th April - Summer term begins
Monday 1st May - BANK HOLIDAY
Monday 8th May - BANK HOLIDAY (CORONATION)
w.b. 15th May - STAY SAFE WEEK 3 (including Walk or Wheel Week)
Wednesday 24th May - SEND Parents Evening
Monday 29th May to Friday 2nd June - HALF TERM
Wednesday June 14th: Year 2 trip to Roarr Dinosaur adventure park
Saturday 24th June - FOSA Necton Summer Fete
Wednesday 28th June - Sports Day
Wednesday 12th July - Move Up Morning
Friday 21st July - Last day of summer term
Summer Term Knowledge Organiser:
Useful sites for this term's learning:
For times tables practise (please focus on chanting and non-sequential rapid recall of the 0x, 1x, 2x, 5x & 10x) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6DSMZ8b3LE and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6BE4VcYngQ -lovely songs to learn the continents and oceans. YouTube may contain adverts.
A short clip about dinosaurs https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/z6882hv/articles/zhtqkty
Mary Annings https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/class-clips-video/true-stories-mary-anning/zn7gd6f
Food chain game https://www.sheppardsoftware.com/science/animals/games/food-chain/
Animals including humans https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/z6882hv/year/z7s22sg